I have dealt with GoDaady as a registrar for many years and held them in highest esteem until I decided to use them to host my site when my nightmare began. I am a software developer and an intranetwork engineer and have been in my profession for the last 26 years.

1. Security Warning

I started with a shared windows hosting ($9.99 / month) on June 16 2016 and soon realized that their .net offering was not upto date as they claimed. My apps were written in Asp.net core. I was told that they would be upgrading soon, but that never happened. After 2 weeks of waiting and realizing the limitation of the shared environment and overcoming my disappointment , I moved to purchase a Virtual Private Server account on July 6 2016. Disappointed because they refused to give any credit towards the new purchase which I had to do due to their limitations. I chose the self managed option as I am highly experienced in my field. As a rule I do a security monitoring before uploading my files when I discovered that I was a target of brute force attack. On a Windows server you can see this happening on the Event Viewer when every second a login attempt is being made with different user names. This began within 24hrs of me signing up. Let me also add here that the domain name I was using was brand new and had nothing to indicating anything special was behind it.

When I informed GoDaddy about this, they convinced me that they would have a resolution within 48 hrs. Being busy with everything else I came to realize on July 16 2016 that I was still waiting for a resolution. When I called them now they started a parrot like repetition saying that on a self managed server, it was my responsibility to prevent getting hacked and that their parent servers were their only concern. GoDaddy's solution was for me to pay them more money so they can manage. When I asked them if they would be moving my domain to a different machine, they said "NO" that was not required.

As much as I agree with protecting my assets, here are the problems with those statements.

(a) The server that I purchased exists on their physical network, the IP address is provisioned by them and to reach my server, every connection must pass through their routers & a (phantom) firewall. The attacks don't originate out of thin air as they make it seem like the machine I was given was sitting in an open field.

(b) So they can't answer what changes the security situation when my domain does not use a different machine.

I used a program called VisualRoute, 14 day free trial and realized what a poorly configured network they have. Every responsible company has a fiduciary of providing a first line of defense against Denial of Service, DDoS etc. as this also affects the performance. GoDaddy miserably fails in this aspect. Another point to note is they do not indicate their lack of protecting you anywhere on their website nor on the phone.

2. Inter-departmental Communications break

Their Customer Development Department called me as I was getting ready to ask for a full refund since I could not use their service at all due to security issues. Their promise to refund turned into a phone transfer nightmare between their accounting department & the hosting department who did not honor that and start to point out my "inability". As though it's ok for this hacking to go on.

3. No higher ups to help

When tying to get to a supervisor's supervisor, they will simply refuse to give a even an email address saying you have reached the end of the rope.

4. Billing Issues

I also realized that when I moved on to the VPS, the sales person assured me that the shared hosting is cancelled and there was nothing else I need to do. That was not true as I was charged $9.99 on July 15th. I know it's a small amount but not only this would add up eventually but it's also the principle.

5. Bottomline & Resolution

Bottom line is buyers beware and please ask the appropriate questions based on what I have written here.

By all means AVOID GoDaddy. I found a host that seems to satisfy all that I was looking for, at least so far. I had to file a Dispute with my financial institution and got a full refund as GoDaddy will trick you to wait and inform you that you went past the 48 hr mark.

devtrix wrote the review because of bad quality at Godaddy. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Godaddy to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Godaddy and godaddy web hosting for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments