Privacy and Data Security
Usability

Fellow South Africans, how does 19 straight days of downtime sound because you were asked to click on “Add Resources” in your Godaddy account? – Keep in mind this was a suggestion made by GoDaddy.

On the 11th of July, I got a notification in Cpanel that my server must be upgraded once again for some unknown reason. I decided to pay the little extra to make sure the server runs at an optimal rate. I naively clicked on upgrade and the next morning all my sites were gone. We have about 10 websites and our company is online based. We rely 100% on our website to generate daily income. I immediately phoned GoDaddy and this is where things went REALLY wrong…

I was told someone will look at it between 48 – 72 hours. I begged and explained we don’t have that long. After a couple of days, I phoned again, and was told another 48 hours. I phone again and again and eventually daily. After about 10 days they eventually figured out that my databases are gone. They did not have it on the first or second server and blame me for not paying for additional backups. I was even asked at one point to pay extra for advanced support. How ridiculous is that! GoDaddy broke my websites and I have to pay them a premium to get it sorted out… I spend around 20+ hours on the phone with them during my 19 day downtime ordeal…

I was eventually forced to move to another hosting company and lost months of hard work as I had to revert to old manual backups. After about 14 days, the literally just stopped looking into the matter they caused. I was left without websites and they absolutely do not care. Our business almost closed our doors because of GoDaddy. I have never felt more helpless in my life. We have about 25 staff members who work on commission. They have families to feed. 19 days of downtime will cause a ripple effect that will last for months. Innocent people are suffering because of GoDaddy’s incompetence.

If you are South African and need hosting, do not fall for GoDaddy. They are quick to overcharge you for basics you get free elsewhere. They constantly request that you upgrade resources and when you do, your websites get delete in the process. I have now cancelled after 19 days of downtime. I’m sure they are glad I cancelled because they can’t fix the issue on any level of their support structure.

So if indefinite downtime is what you guys offer, I am glad I moved to a local company who actually cares about customer service. The fat cats at GoDaddy can suck it.

I didn't like: Extremely unprofessional, Product does not work, Issues on every aspect, Scammed me.

Comments